No challenges completed this month – school is definitely eating up my reading time! Up to 186 books for the year, 5 this month alone (0 DNFs); 3 fiction/2 non-fiction.
Completed in October:
- Kill the Farm Boy (ebook, fiction). Very entertaining. Recommended if you’re into D&D/RPGs.
- The Fishermen (paperback, fiction). Book club pick, not something I’d have chosen for myself. Dark and tragic.
- Leader Evolution: From Technical Expertise to Strategic Leadership (ebook and paperback, nonfiction). If you’re new to leadership as a concept, this might interest you, but it was a bit too basic for me.
- The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion Through the Art of Storytelling (paperback, nonfiction). This was a required read for my Stories and Creative Leadership class, but I really enjoyed it! A great look at the efficacy (and pitfalls) of storytelling for anyone in a leadership role.
- Mrs. Queen Takes the Train (audiobook, fiction). I thought the bits about the Queen going adventuring were freaking adorable, but the subplot of the cheese monger stalking the stable hand really squicked me out.
Started in October (or before) and Still Going:
There are a lot of books on this list! With the exception of audiobooks I listen to at work, which I cycle through based purely on what’s available; things I need to pick up for school; and book club picks, I’m going to try not to add to this list before the end of the year.
- Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for Scrum Masters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition. Nonfiction. Reading challenge for work.
- Collaborative Leadership: Building Relationships, Handling Conflict, and Sharing Control. Nonfiction.
- The Confessions of Socrates. Fiction.
- Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. Fiction. Recommended by a fellow challenge-taker for Pop Sugar.
- Hogfather. Fiction. Meant to read last year for Pop Sugar, religion for Strategic.
- The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All. Nonfiction. Textbook.
- Mrs. Queen Takes the Train. Fiction.
- Night and Silence. Fiction.
- Organizational Behavior. Nonfiction. Textbook.
- The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World. Nonfiction.
- Principles of Managerial Finance. Nonfiction.Textbook.
- The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work. Nonfiction.
- Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature. Nonfiction. Reading challenge for work.
- The Things They Carried. Fiction. Textbook.
- Walking With the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement. Nonfiction.
- We Fed an Island: The True Story of Rebuilding Puerto Rico, One Meal at a Time. Nonfiction.